Athlete Training and Health Overview
Our mission is to provide a world-class training environment for athletes and adults of all fitness levels utilizing learnings from our scientific research in human performance. Our forward-thinking approach to collaboration with hospital systems, professional sports teams, universities and independent school districts is setting new standards for health and performance training. We invest heavily in the post- graduate education of our coaches, who in turn develop evidence-led training programs that are guaranteed to deliver sustainable results. Our state-of-the-art facilities feature best-in-class turf fields, pro-style weight rooms and cutting-edge technology to exceed the needs of our athletes, communities and healthcare partners.
Position Overview – Memorial Hermann ISMI:
As a Performance Coach based in a Memorial Hermann Ironman Sport Medicine Institute (ISMI) facility. Your role will be geared towards “hands-on” coaching in a clinical and performance environment with an emphasis on return to play initiatives. Primary responsibilities and a summary of each location include:
- Coaching healthy athletes in creative ways to simulate biomechanics of their sport as well as injured athletes who plan to return to sport after injury and prevent re-injury.
- Assisting and observation of Physical Therapists will be your primary role as you integrate into this clinically based environment.
- Aiding physical therapists to ensure quality during the rehabilitative process. Once you begin to take on referrals from Physical Therapists you will be expected to continue implementing coaching under their guidance to ensure patient safety and proper progressions/regressions.
- Performance coaches are responsible for internal customer service needs, with an emphasis on on-the-floor deliverables, supporting client management and internal retention sales operations.
- Leading and participating in staff education, specifically the ATH internship and mentorship.
- Other duties as assigned.
Setanta College Overview
The mission of Setanta College is to provide to the undergraduate and graduate learner a quality-driven and progressive distance learning experience that leads to greater specialized knowledge, awareness and understanding with strong practical competence in strength and conditioning, sport, exercise, performance science and coaching. Performance Science and Strength and Conditioning is becoming globally recognized as a professional pathway in the sports and general wellness industries. Our programs cover a broad range of topics from functional screening, resistance training and fundamental movement through to nutrition, coaching skill and sport technology.
The programs, both full time and part time (online) are designed to cover the latest academic thinking and research but with a focus on practical application. The modules are updated every two years, which is unique in the educational industry.
In addition to the primary responsibilities listed a distinctive opportunity has been created for an academically strong, passionate and innovative applicant. The applicant must also possess a zeal for working in the areas of sports science, strength and conditioning and sports medicine, often initiating collaborative efforts across respective entities and institutions. The Masters candidate will work primarily within the ISMI as stated above but will be enrolled within Setanta College upon completion of necessary academic entry requirements.
Masters in Performance Coaching
In addition to the primary responsibilities listed a distinctive opportunity has been created for an academically strong, passionate and innovative applicant. A key aim of the program is to enable coaches to integrate knowledge from a range of fields into the generation of performance solutions. Teaching and learning methods will be based on a blended learning format that will include a combination of online lectures, independent study, work based assessments, residential stay weeks and regular forum contributions. Through these methods practitioners will gain advanced knowledge of the theories and scientific principles that underpin sports performance, exercise and coaching. Full information on the program can be found here: M.S. Performance Coaching Information
Terms and Conditions
ATH will fully fund all tuition costs and accommodation costs for all applied performance coaches and provide extended PTO (mission days) for offsite data collection, analysis and study related activity at the discretion of ATH. The industry embedded position is an opportunity facilitated and funded by ATH in addition to providing full time employment throughout the duration of the academic program. However, the performance coach’s primary responsibility is not to undertake study during their working week, specific time may be allocated, the majority of the work will be completed in addition to the primary responsibilities and outside their typical working week. Contracts will be renewed as long as the applied performance coach is in good standing with both ATH and Setanta College. Postgraduate scholarships and annual contract renewals are done on an interview basis.
Breakdown of Role
- Coaching (60-70%) – On training floor
- Administration (10%) – Collection, reporting, measurement
- Product Development (10-15%) – Programming, research, development
- Staff Education (10-15%)
Qualification and Experience
- Setanta College postgraduate research requirements
- BA/BS – Exercise science, sports science, kinesiology or health-related
- Minimum of 2 years coaching experience.
- Competency to judge exercises and use discretion in the development of exercise prescription.
- Strong level of IT skills to use various applications, technologies and software ranging from administrative (Microsoft office) to sporting technologies.
- Dynamic personality: industrious, enthusiastic, adaptable and humble.
- High personal standards of health and fitness that reflect one’s lifestyle habits and command the respect of co-workers and athletes.
- Good communication and relationship building skills, ability to work in a team environment.
- Open to personal development and growth through lifelong learning initiatives, both as a student and in teaching others. Ability to multitask; goal-oriented and self-directed.
- The successful candidate must be willing to work extended hours including early morning, evening and some Saturdays.
- Research responsibilities will primarily fall outside of typical working hours.
- The successful candidate must have authorization to work within the USA.
Compensation and Length
- 12-month position and will be renewed on a joint interview basis with Setanta College to determine both professional and academic progress until completion of the graduate program.
- Fully funded postgraduate tuition fees
- Fully funded accommodation
- $18,000 per annum ($1,500 per month)
- Medical benefits
- Send your resume and cover letter to HR@athleteth.com. The deadline for applications is June 30th. The successful candidate should be willing to start no later than August 8th.